User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to warn everyone that H&R BLOCK is horrible. My friend always goes there to do his taxes and last year they encouraged him to get his return on a debit card they have, but they didnt disclose to him all the terms to him. He gave me the card last and told me it had $18 on it, which I checked and it certainly did.

I have never used it since he gave it to me and I tried using it recently and it didnt have any money on it ! it actually is telling me it has a balance of MINUS $1.00.

I looked at the website and it states:

What debit card usage fees are there?

Debit payment - $1.50 for each debit purchase
    Interac ATM fee - $1.99 for each withdrawal
    Trace fee - $0.50 for transaction investigations
    Telephone account inquiry fee - $1.00 for each inquiry
    Inactivity fee - $7.95 for 90 consecutive days of non use and monthly charges thereafter.

NO WONDER THEY PRESSURED HIM TO GET THE STUPID CARD...THIS IS ROBBERY !!, he could have gotten his money in a cheque like every year prior and have all his funds in his OWN bank with no stupid charges !, they didnt provide him with anything that states these terms !
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by sampler; Sun, Nov 22nd, 2009 at 11:05 PM.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Wow, those are horrible terms! Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to pass this along to my family and friends.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They probably called it a "bank card" so that they don't get in trouble with the consumer protection over gift cards etc.. this is absolutely ridiculous!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    To make 1 purchase using the dumb card would cost you $1.50 in service fees ! <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have always told my friend to not go to H&R block as their fees to do returns are too expensive and unnecessary ...I am just glad now he realises that I am right ! That company just lost a loyal customer!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Sounds more like a gift card then a debit card.

In Ontario its illegal for them to deduct money from a gift card...but maybe have found away around it by calling it something else.
    Last edited by sarajk; Sun, Nov 22nd, 2009 at 10:46 PM.

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Seisouly?%?%&?&

I would complain. Did he sign anything? or He just had the option? So in other words they got free money.

his is exactly why I dont pay someone to do my taxes. Thank god for daddy.
    Please! Vote for me! Return Votes - PM me!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricki911 View Post
    Seisouly?%?%&?&

I would complain. Did he sign anything? or He just had the option? So in other words they got free money.

his is exactly why I dont pay someone to do my taxes. Thank god for daddy.

My friend thought that they were just trying to promote their card, and accepted it because he believes most people are honest...and he has been going to do his taxes there for years and believed he was getting good service.... He told me he didn't sign anything and was a bit upset that he was tricked.

Can you imagine how many customers they fooled into getting this card? And most people arenít like us and focus on every penny etc, most people may not even notice how fast their money vanishes from this stupid card ...

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

that's awful, omg, you should contact one of those consumer reports shows!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The whole debit card thing is a scam, aimed to take advantage of those who financially can't wait to get their refund back, such as the low income individuals.

Those who have direct deposit set up with the CRA should avoid the cash back option and just wait for the gov't to process their refund. If the return is electronically filed, it should take no more than two weeks for the funds to show up in your bank account.

Of course the best thing to do is to AVOID H&R Block altogether. With the abundance of free to low cost tax software available, those with simple tax situations can easily do it themselves.
    Last edited by travelgeek; Mon, Nov 23rd, 2009 at 12:24 AM.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

We have been doing our own taxes for a few years now (DH's uncle is an accountant and we used him a few times, but he gets sooooo incredibly busy that he forgets ours usually till the very last minute), and we use QuickTax or something like that. About 6-7 years ago I used liberty tax service and would not recommend that company to anyone! They filed my taxes and forgot to include a T4, which obviously gave me more money on my return...which the gov't did a re-assessement on me and I owed almost 400$... When I explained this to the tax company, they wouldn't do anything about it! They wouldn't even reimburse me the fees they charged to get my taxes done. Since then, we do ours on our own...much easier, and the software is like 20$.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Thanks for the warning

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Getting your tax return done at H&R Block is no cheaper then getting it done anywhere else. They usually take a nice percentage or your refund just to give you money on your debit card as well. I do all my tax returns myself.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

i don't trust these places either once they made a really obvious mistake on my dh return so the person could make more money out of it

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

my heart goes out to you Sampler....this is sad that they can get away with it!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I just go to Revenue Canada's website where they have a list of free software (and the links) that they have approved for online tax returns. I haven't paid for software for two years now. There's no need when there's GREAT free programs out there!
    Joining swagbucks will add richness to your life! I've got over $1,000.00 in gift cards so far. Please join me!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That's terrible!

It costs to much to go there. I did it twice when I was working [age 19 and 20] but never again! I had a very LOW paying job and low hours for christmas parttime help and they made me pay about 80 bucks [when in total I made maybe 700-900 dollars in 2 months seperatly those 2 years]

My ex's mother does our families tax returns every year for free but we buy her gifts for doing it [wine, giftcards etc]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information