User Tag List

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hi everyone! I hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I was just wondering, how does the Telus Pay As You Go plan work?

I'm considering finally buying a cell phone(I'm buying it second hand),
    I was just wondering how much does it cost to run a pay as you go phone through Telus? (The phone is a Moterola pink Razr)

Also do you have to pay a monthly bill? Or do you just buy those phone cards you see at gas stations?

I'm just starting out in the cell phone world so I have no clue what is a good deal and what is a bad one! HELP!!!

Thanks everyone! Alee...
    This thread is currently associated with: Telus
    In 2010/11 I used over $7700 in coupons!
    My 2012 goal is $6000 in coupons!

:::Alee142010:::

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Alee, I have Telus pay as you go and the cost depends on your needs. You can buy top up cards at any avondale, gas station etc. for $10, $25, $50, $100. You can just add money and pay per minute of use or you can add features. I pay $7.00/month to have the ability to call 1 number a month unlimited. You can pick 3 numbers unlimited, than there are texting features, web features, etc. If you do pay as you go you don't receive a bill you just "top up" when you need to. Keep in mind you need to top up every 30 days if you don't want to lose your minutes. If you were to put a $25 card on your phone on march 1st and had only used $15 of that and were left with a $10 balance you would lose that $10 if you don't top up by the end of 30 days. If you do top up, that $10 rolls over to your next month. Keep in mind with telus if you don't have a texting plan on your phone, you are charged for incoming text messages as well as your outgoing.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I had pay as you go for years, I started with the $50 card...then I had it automatically set up to my visa to pay $10 monthly (telus can do that automatically). If I found that I was getting low on minutes I could easily buy a new card or add $$ with my visa. I found it to be a great! My parents took over my phone and now do the same thing....It's a good way to gauge how much to actually use your phone, if you find that you are using more minutes, and it's getting costly then you can look at switching to a plan.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was pay as you go with Telus for a long time but found that it was way too expensive. I'm now with Koodo and LOVE it! As others said, you don't receive a bill with pay as you go and you can add more money whenever you want (you can top up unlimited times a month). Your $/minutes depend on what card you use. I will try to explain in the easiest way possible.

Let's say you start with a $50 card. Your minutes will be $.25/minute (at least that was the rate when I had my phone). When you top up, your minutes will remain at that rate regardless of how much you top up with ($10, $20, etc).
    If you forget to top up by the 30 day mark (you must top up each 30 day period) you will lose that rate unless you again get another $50 card. OR if you use up all the $50 before topping up, your rate will be lost again unless of course you get another $50.

If you get a lower top up, your rate per minute will go up. When I had my phone, if I got a $25 card it was 30 cents a minute.

I really hope this makes sense for you. But I truly recommend Koodo, they have great plans and you're only paying for your plan plus tax (no service/activation fees, 911, etc). And they pay for your phone up to $150, whereas you will be paying a LOT of money up front for a pay as you go phone with Telus.
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I was pay as you go with Telus for a long time but found that it was way too expensive. I'm now with Koodo and LOVE it! As others said, you don't receive a bill with pay as you go and you can add more money whenever you want (you can top up unlimited times a month). Your $/minutes depend on what card you use. I will try to explain in the easiest way possible.

Let's say you start with a $50 card. Your minutes will be $.25/minute (at least that was the rate when I had my phone). When you top up, your minutes will remain at that rate regardless of how much you top up with ($10, $20, etc).
    If you forget to top up by the 30 day mark (you must top up each 30 day period) you will lose that rate unless you again get another $50 card. OR if you use up all the $50 before topping up, your rate will be lost again unless of course you get another $50.

If you get a lower top up, your rate per minute will go up. When I had my phone, if I got a $25 card it was 30 cents a minute.

I really hope this makes sense for you. But I truly recommend Koodo, they have great plans and you're only paying for your plan plus tax (no service/activation fees, 911, etc). And they pay for your phone up to $150, whereas you will be paying a LOT of money up front for a pay as you go phone with Telus.

Can you use Koodo with a Telus phone???

I actually only really need my phone for calling back home, or occasionally talking to a friend maybe for a minute or two.. So I think that pay as you go, wont be too expensive for me...
    In 2010/11 I used over $7700 in coupons!
    My 2012 goal is $6000 in coupons!

:::Alee142010:::

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Alee142010 View Post
    Can you use Koodo with a Telus phone???

I actually only really need my phone for calling back home, or occasionally talking to a friend maybe for a minute or two.. So I think that pay as you go, wont be too expensive for me...

No, you can't. Koodo and Telus both don't have SIM cards so you can't use their phones with other companies. But Koodo will pay for your phone up to $150. I got my phone, only $150 and didn't pay a dime
    Koodo has a plan for $15/month which will get you 50 minutes and 50 text messages.
    If you go with Telus, you can go with $10/month and if my calculations are right from when I was with them, you will get maybe 30 minutes, but it's not 'to the second billing'. So even if you were 3 minutes and 6 seconds, Telus will bill you for 4 minutes, which can really add up. Koodo would just bill you for 3 minutes and 6 seconds.
    I have no affiliation with selling Koodo, but I just was not happy at all with Telus, and was always worried I would run out of minutes. I feel so much more freedom with Koodo and honestly I hardly ever use my phone except in emergencies. But it's nice to just pay the $15/month and not worry about going over or extra hidden fees. I definitely sound like a Koodo salesperson though It's just my recommendation though. You should definitely shop around for your best interests.
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

Here is some telus prepaids. Pretty good prices. I am in a contact, but broke my phone. So I had to get a new one.

I ordered mine from their website. I had it 3 days. I paid 49.99 for mine. This is the one I got-

Thread Information