User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Expired
    Hi all! I'm planning a bridal shower with a couple of friends and I'm in charge of getting the cake. Since I'll be paying for the cake myself I need something that's within my budget which is $30-$40. There will be about 40-50 girls attending the bridal shower so I'm thinking a 1/2 slab cake will be best. I've been reading around on various forums and seems like Costco is the cheapest way to go; but there have been both positive/negative reviews of the cake itself. I'm also thinking about Walmart/Loblaws/Sobeys/Metro. I've never tried any cakes from any of these stores except Metro. Can anyone give me any good suggestions of which (grocery) store cakes will be within my budget and taste good (I don't want to be the loser that brings a terrible-tasting cake!).
    Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Cake Beauty, Costco, Loblaws, Metro, Sobeys, Walmart

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

there are a lot of chinese bakerys out there with delicious fruit cakes, you have a choice of either fresh fruit or canned fruit...but the thing with chinese bakeries is they have yummy icing that is neither too sweet or too rich..and usually I can get a birthday cake for about 40 or 50 for around your budget...but call around and see, depending on where you are..i could recommend some if you're in vancouver

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

It may help if you post what area you lived in.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks sunshine88; I'll look into Chinese bakeries although I don't want a fruit cake.

Sarajk, I live in Toronto.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

There was a thread from a few months ago that was from someone in the GTA looking for the same. Hopefully thats one of the ones you found.

As for Costco...we've never had a bad cake from there.
    My bridal shower cake was from Independant. It was so disgusting we took the cake back for a refund! Fortunately we had a chocolate fountain and lots of other goodies to make up for it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I've found Superstore pound cakes to be absolutely fabulous! They even made my wedding cake (which was not only gorgeous but delicious). Yes, I also thought that getting a wedding cake from a grocery store was ridiculous, until I saw their cake and tried samples at a wedding show. They really do beautiful decorating, and the cake is just SOOO good!

IMO, the white is better (more moist) than the chocolate, the marble is the best of both worlds but not available in all locations. The icing is real butter rather than the stuff that tastes like whipped shortening!

DH wanted to try a Costco cake for his birthday last year, so we did. We had one at work once too. IMO, it was just OK.

Z
    Last edited by Zonny; Sun, Apr 18th, 2010 at 02:12 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

We absolutely love Safeway cakes - especially the Black Forest one - you can get a slab for $20, but then that must be 1/4 slab.
    Also yummers is their carrot cake, and German chocolate. Oo, lemon, too.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    We absolutely love Safeway cakes - especially the Black Forest one - you can get a slab for $20, but then that must be 1/4 slab.
    Also yummers is their carrot cake, and German chocolate. Oo, lemon, too.
    If you choose the carrot cake you MUST remember to specify real cream cheese in the icing or you won't get it. You will also pay more for it. We do like the Black Forest from Safeway. Good luck!

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

an alternative to a regular cake... i would check out dairy queen.. since summer is commnig at us.. ice cream cakes are BIG hits... i bought a quarter slab for my DD 1st bday last may and it was 35$, the lady even let me custom make what i wanted her to draw on it at no extra charge, and wouldnt even accept my tip lol... all in all.. for not much more expensive than a regular cake(that usually ends up not being eating and half a cake sits in somebody freezer for half a year) lol
    Niagara Falls for New years!!! YIPPY!!!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'm thinking Costco or Sobey's will be the best deal so I'm going to go look at those stores tomorrow. Unfortunately there isn't a Safeway in the GTA so that won't work.

Thanks again!

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I find Safeway cakes to be artificial tasting. My choice would be Sobeys/IGA, Save On Foods ( dont know if there is one in Toronto) or Costco. Anywhere with fresh cream. Costco is very well priced, whereas the others are a little expensive IMHO.

Trading Score
    35 (97%)

We have always gone with Costco. And the cakes are good too, not just inexpensive for the size.

I am too young to realize that certain things are impossible. So I will do them anyways.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone know if the Costco cakes have a filling? I went to place my order in yesterday (and completely forgot to ask them). Unlike the order form in the US, it seems Canada doesn't have many choices. All they asked for was the cake type and icing type (I went with chocolate cake with white buttercream) but no mention of a filling. Can anyone tell me if there is a filling and what it is? Thanks!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

If I'm remembering correctly the filling might be a custard/pudding type filling. Tasty really but don't quote me on that! You could always just call Costco and ask what type of filling they use. Hope you have a nice party.

Thread Information