User Tag List

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

Our DS is quickly outgrowing our infant carseat. We already have two other "good" carseats that our 3 year old DD is using (one in each vehicle). We will also need to buy her booster seats once she reaches 40lbs so we don't want to have to buy too many more expensive contraptions to use in the meantime since DS can use her seats when she outgrows them (especially since if we ever had another baby our infant seat will also be expired by then). I noticed in the online flyer that they had the "Safety 1st Scenera LX Car Seat in a Bag" on sale for $49.97 (reg. $89.97) and when I went there today I bought it. I saw some good reviews online, both before I bought it and after, and I'm sure this is the seat that some of the moms in my play date group said they liked as well. Does anyone out there have this seat? I'd love to hear more opinions about it before we use it. I'm a little leery about "cheap" carseats so any positive reassurance would be great, lol.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Scenera is a decent seat. Meets all the Canadian minimum Safety Standards. Good for Rfing. It tends to be out grown rather quickly forward facing, due to the harnesses being really low (about 15").

But if your looking for something for your DS to be in rear-facing, then to move to a different seat, then I don't think there is any concern.

As for your oldest, make sure that she is at a minimum 4 years old (I recommend 4.5 years old) before moving into the booster seats. The Maturity level of the child must be taken into consideration before moving a child from a harnesses seat into a booster seat.

When in a Harnesses your child's safety is in your hands, when the child moves into a booster seat, their safety moves into their own hands. So make sure that your child CAN handle that kind of safety.

- I'm a Canadian CRST

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Cheap car seats are no different than the expensive ones. There are only 3-4 shells I believe that are manufactured. What you pay for is the "brand" and different fabrics and do dads. Safety is the same in the 40$ carseat vs the 500$ carseat.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

While you are right on some of it, your whole statement is not correct.

Each seat on the Canadian Market has to meet the minimum safety standards put out by Transport Canada. From there Manufactures are allowed to add additional safety features to their seats.

As for 3-4 Shells, thats incorrect, each manufacture creates their own shells. There can be anywhere from 2-6 different moulds per manufacture, and each one is different.

Also each seat will offer different options as well, some have a lower weight limit to accommodate smaller infants, and have a higher rear-facing weight limit for older toddlers and heavier toddlers. Some have a taller shell height so fit taller children, and others are really low and kids tend to out grow them faster.

Your best bet for ANY car seat, is to find a seat that Fits your child, fits your vehicle (not every seat is compatible with every vehicle... trust me, I've installed LOTS of car seats), and is used correctly 100% of the time. That will be the safest car seat on the market, be it a $80 seat or a $400 seat.

Thread Information