User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mommy2angels
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By VeeVee

Thread: *UPDATE* Dr. Poon's Diet -- What do you think?

Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Hi,

So, I was wondering, what do you all think about the Dr. Poon diet? My doctor referred me there because I have been struggling with weightloss. I am not obese, but due to my weight have back problems and trouble sleeping at night.

I am 170 pounds and 5ft 3. They said I need to lose 30 pounds, but I really want to get to 130, and 120 to be super happy and slim :D

So, I had my first visit yesterday. They give you a list of things you can have and not. Im in Phase 1. Im having withdrawl lol.

Im just wondering if it is healthy to do? Like I know to lose weight it is healthier to eat healthy and exercise. But are these diets wrong?

Just wanted some input... they first phase, no dairy fruits no sugar and salt. You can have as much of greens all day and protein (chicken breast beef etc). no salt and no sugar.

They say you should lose 5-10 pounds in 2 weeks and then they put you on to phase 2 and 3 later.

Please help, im debating whether I should continue.

I guess my main thing is finding the right things to cook and exercise. I wanted to be able to do this on my own the "healthier" way but i didnt know where to start...

Please help thank you!!

**UPDATE** It has been 3 weeks since I have been on the diet and I have to say I feel great! I have lost 12lbs according to them (my scale at home says 14). I went in yesterday for my weigh in, I have gone down from 170.8 to 159.0 I am extremely happy! The doctor was really happy and put me straight on Phase 2. Its more easier than phase 1, you can have dairy and fruits now. I am also doing 30 mintues of cardio for 5 days like they suggested. Please keep the tips and trick coming. I dont know how realistic this is, but I want to lose 50lbs byt March 31st. Hopefully I can achieve that by then since my 5 year anniversary is in April and I want to make hubby happy :D
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess
    Last edited by mommy2angels; Thu, Jan 12th, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
    BC Gal likes this.
    Always looking for HV Pampers or Huggies coupons!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I hadn't heard of him, but just glanced over the website and read some of the info briefly.
    A bonus could be that it's targeting those with metabolic syndrome or those who are pre-diabetic (he lists all the conditions).

However, I have a problem with any doctor touting a 'diet' who is charging for sessions, books, etc. - just in my opinion.
    There's tons of free information on the internet - and any doctor can set you up to see a dietician who can give you sound nutritional advice.
    Having a support group can help, though - maybe read the thread on the SCers who are on WW.

Wishing you luck!
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I was on the diet about 3 yrs ago. I lost 40 pounds in 2 months then got a kidney stone from loosing weight do fast lol I stopped after that, but I do know a few ppl who have lost about 60 to 80 pounds and are doing great. It's hard especially the first month! It does work just make sure to drink lots of water!
    Good luck!
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Any diet...or...way of eating (because it's usually for life) can be successful.
    It's the sticking-to-it-ness that's the problem.
    I've lost 30lbs substituting two meals a day with SmartOnes or some similar...just like those expensive JennyCraig or Nutrisystem diets...it's easy, inexpensive and if I continue to stick to it the weight absolutely does come off. I used to walk every day, but lately with my hip problem, it's not so easy....

Just find something you're comfortable with, and stick to it. GOOD LUCK!

Our 'other' happy place!

Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Ive been sticking to it, it has been 3 days!!! Im still making regular meals for my husband and kids but its all good.

Hes really happy that Im doing it and taking it serious. I think I really need this push from the doctors because I was really unsuccessfuk trying to do it on my own. I know alot of people can and my hats off to you!!

Can anyone share any recipes with me? I saw alot of people going crazy at the VERY EXPENSIVE store they have at the clinic. I just bought myself a bbq sauce and caesar sald dressing, because I read online that you cant find those anywhere.

The doctor was really nice and said you can get stuff from there as a one time treat for sometimes but dont depend on it, try your veggies and salad more. Which i know is healthier for me. And hey, we're smart shoppers right??! lol
    I do plan on getting my self an occasional power bar and chocolates from the store as I sometimes really get a craving to have chocolate but dont want to give in.

wish me luck, with all the parties and everything coming up, its tough but I want to see results!!!

And I know myself, If i see results it will make me want to do more

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Good luck in changing your eating. I lost about 60 lbs 6+ years ago and have kept it off since. The trick, as other posters have noted, is to stick with it.

I would suggest trying to get your family eating the same foods as you as often as possible. For example, make the same main course for everyone and then add some fruits or cheese to the servings for your DH and kiddos if they won't eat the food without those additions. If you have to do a lot of extra work preparing food, it'll be WAY harder to stick to the diet. My mum did a rotational diet (gluten, sugar and wheat-free) when my sister and I were kids and it worked because we all ate the same things and supported her through having to re-learn how to cook without half her pantry cupboard.

My diet advice? If it comes from a box, don't put it in your mouth. There are certainly exceptions (I'm an all-bran junkie, for example), but generally the stuff in boxes is less nutritious that the other ingredients - fresh meats and alternatives, beans and legumes, veggies, etc. - that you use to prepare meals. Also, the stuff from boxes often takes the place of the good, healthy stuff in our diets.

Also, don't forget to treat yourself. If you're miserable on the diet, you'll never succeed, so occasional treats are a MUST, not a never... just make sure that the healthy stuff outnumbers the good stuff every day

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Skip the power bars, which are usually loaded with carbs or sugar alternatives and junk you don't need. If you want some chocolate, have a square of dark chocolate from a real chocolate bar...you'll feel more satisfied, and the calories really won't hurt your diet, and it's MUCH fewer calories than a power bar. jmho

Our 'other' happy place!

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I lost 40lbs 2 years ago from just googling and changing my diet

google is the best diet tool around, EVERYTHING you need to know is on there.

The biggest challenge is maintaining your weightloss.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Skip the power bars, which are usually loaded with carbs or sugar alternatives and junk you don't need. If you want some chocolate, have a square of dark chocolate from a real chocolate bar...you'll feel more satisfied, and the calories really won't hurt your diet, and it's MUCH fewer calories than a power bar. jmho
    The power bar she is refering to is the one from the store in the DR's office ..its his own bar. On this diet you are not allowed sugar at ALL only in fruit form and its limited to what fruits you can eat.

Trading Score
    43 (100%)

hi,

yes the power bars im referring to is from their store.

Im still on phase one, which there is no sugar allowed. not even fruits. so atm im very limited at what I can have.

But phase 2 allows fruits and veggies so ive heard.

im sticking with it, with the holidays its tough but better start now then never. I have always been putting it off and i know if I want another baby its not healthy for me to keep getting bigger.

please pray for me and best wishes to all of you too !!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Ah...good. Thank you for clearing that up...there's so much garbage out there posing as "healthy" food....Continued good luck to you!

Our 'other' happy place!

Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Thank you so much.!! Im so eager to weigh myself after the 2 weeks since your supposed to see good results even though it can all be water weight its still pounds!! Lol

Trading Score
    43 (100%)

update!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There is no charge to see Dr. Poon...it's covered by OHIP

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

My mom was referred to do this diet and our doc did one for me too so we could do it together. We decided the diet was for us, the fact there are certain foods you will never eat again (NO potatoes EVER, I think not German and Irish, I NEED my potatoes ), as soon as they said it I knew I would never follow through.

I opted for calorie cycling again. Worked exactly how it promised.

Hope everything goes well for you. It really is a full lifestyle change.

Thread Information