User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Car insurance from Walmart?Costco?CAA?PC Financial?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Would you buy your car insurance from Walmart, PC Financial, Costco or CAA?
    How about your home insurance?

We have used an insurance broker the past few years. We have been disappointed with the service and cost over the past few years.

Walmart is partnering with CAA and offering the same car insurance for $300/year, less. Tried to call the insurance broker and they were so laid back, so not helpful, and wouldn't lift a finger to do some searching for us. Ours is due in October. We called this week.

So do you have some good stories about Walmart, PC Financial, Costco or CAA auto insurance?
    Thx.
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Automobile Association CAA, Costco, Walmart
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Mar 18th, 2012 at 08:06 AM.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Would you buy your car insurance from Walmart, Costco or CAA?
    How about your home insurance?

We have used an insurance broker the past few years. We have been disappointed with the service and cost over the past few years.

Walmart is partnering with CAA and offering the same car insurance for $300/year, less. Tried to call the insurance broker and they were so laid back, so not helpful, and wouldn't lift a finger to do some searching for us. Ours is due in October. We called this week.

So do you have some good stories about Walmart, Costco or CAA auto insurance?
    Thx.
    My first reaction is if the broker can't be bothered to be too helpful to "Sell" you the policy. . .imagine how helpful he'll be if you try to collect or have problems. . .?!
    Check to see who is underwriting the policy and check their reputation for "paying out" That's a biggie. Many times you get what you pay for.

Our home insurance is with Chieftan Ins. and my vehicle is with Dominion. Both are very reasonable.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks.
    The broker changed owners in the last few years.
    I have noticed a difference in attitude.

I will check the fine print, as you suggested, and compare the current policy with the more inexpensive policies.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Also try a different broker. That might make a huge difference.
    Last edited by guessboi; Thu, Mar 8th, 2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelled wrong
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Alberta Auto, Home, Business and Travel Insurance Broker
    /

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks.
    The broker changed owners in the last few years.
    I have noticed a difference in attitude.

I will check the fine print, as you suggested, and compare the current policy with the more inexpensive policies.
    That can be a clue, that he may not need your business..... sorry to be so straightforward, "but its the fact"
    Some brokers do fire their clients too.. there's nothing wring about that. If there's a mismatch & its not working well, isn't it better to reorganize.
    I have seen clients only talk about changing their brokers: but there are a lot of brokers who want to get rid of several clients (who are unproductive for them)

You might also want to consider the Claims Experience of the Underwriter Insurance Company. As there are some companies who are very ______ in paying claims..
    Last edited by ashedfc; Thu, Mar 8th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks all.
    Good info.
    Good points to ponder.

@ashedfc, hmmm. Firing a client?
    They would be firing some good clients.
    But it's maybe time for some new and improved insurance providers. We will do our research. We have until October - so lots of time.Thanks much.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you are going to be shopping on your own for insurance you could try The Personal. I switched to them three years ago because the rates were better than what I had with PC.

Only thing is that it is group insurance, so you have to be a member/employee of an organization that does business with them, like the government or professional groups etc.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    This message, brought to you by Crackberry Curvy!

Get your on, and get paid for it!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crackfairy Curvy View Post
    If you are going to be shopping on your own for insurance you could try The Personal. I switched to them three years ago because the rates were better than what I had with PC.

Only thing is that it is group insurance, so you have to be a member/employee of an organization that does business with them, like the government or professional groups etc.
    That's what the mortgage broker said - better prices with group insurance. That's what CAA and Walmart are offering.

Thanks for your post.
    So group insurance works well?
    No problems making a claim?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have only made a claim once thankfully. Someone hit my parked car. It was easy as pie to get it fixed and paid for, though it's the only time I have ever made a claim in my life so I have nothing to compare by.
    This message, brought to you by Crackberry Curvy!

Get your on, and get paid for it!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crackfairy Curvy View Post
    I have only made a claim once thankfully. Someone hit my parked car. It was easy as pie to get it fixed and paid for, though it's the only time I have ever made a claim in my life so I have nothing to compare by.
    Thanks.

We claimed with the broker before and the process was not too pleasant. Wasn't our fault and the insurance company tried to short change us on the claim.

So, from your experience and from mine, may not make too much difference.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

We are also looking into President's Choice home and auto insurance.
    The playing field is wider now.
    Just got to make sure they're a good company and have good backing.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We are also looking into President's Choice home and auto insurance.
    The playing field is wider now.
    Just got to make sure they're a good company and have good backing.
    If you or your DH have a university degree, a lot of schools have Alum discounts with TD Meloche Monnex... Saved me $500/year. So far so good but haven't had any claims so hard to tell (I was with Intact for 10 years prior - through a broker - had one claim and it was easy, no run around).
    Last edited by alicia; Sun, Mar 18th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check for more details.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    If you or your DH have a university degree, a lot of schools have Alum discounts with TD Meloche Monnex... Saved me $500/year. So far so good but haven't had any claims so hard to tell (I was with Intact for 10 years prior - through a broker - had one claim and it was easy, no run around).
    Thank you. Meloche was more expensive than the broker. They gave asked for our profile at my old job a while back. Never received a quote from them. I think the broker was better. The broker changed hands and the new owner is not too great IMHO.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Check with a lawyer. They know what insurance companies are best to deal with and who want to get their customers better rather than sicker.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    "The years teach us much, which the days never knew."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Any company is as expensive as their claims experience. A good company can turn bad, if any particular year they get a bad claims experience.
    That's why, shopping around is good; as you want to go to a company which has less claims experience & has a lower premium (which is due to paying lower claims)..
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information