User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Colleen Howey
  • 1 Post By Eva-M
  • 1 Post By Tantum
  • 2 Post By JennyFromTheRock

Thread: Medic Alert Overcharging Canadian Customers?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was just checking medic alert prices....a dog tag is $40 on the Canadian site and $9 on the U.S. site. The annual US fee is $29 for kids 17 and under. Canada $5 per month ($60 a year). How can this be?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    coyote00 likes this.

Trading Score
    96 (100%)

I have noticed the same thing too but on other products.
    I have visited amazon.ca & .com and prices are much more expensive here than US. I have had my SIL bring over stuff that I had purchased online whenever she comes to visit. I always try to compare prices and shop around before I start spending.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    44 (98%)

Medic Alert is FREE if you have a child between the ages of 4-14 with a medical condition, you can get one bracelet free AND all the benefits of Medic Alert. We signed my son up for this when he started Kindergarten. He has PDD NOS (a form of autism), his bracelet lists this, plus tells that he's a wanderer & only partially verbal. Every year they send us renewal forms to keep our information up to date.

This is a great program. No child that should have a medic alert, should ever go without one.
    Last edited by Tantum; Mon, Sep 17th, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

I personally think medic alert items should be covered. In many cases they are as important as medications.
    xXtiggerXx and lghend like this.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"

A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

You could try claiming the expense on your taxes as a medical expense - I haven't personally been preparing income tax returns in over a decade (before medicalert had monthly fees), so I don't know if this would fly, but I would think there's a good case for it.

Also, I got my Medicalert bracelet (I have a severe allergy to ibuprofen) in 1998. I don't have to pay an annual fee because there was no annual fee for the bracelets prior to 2001 or so. They tried to make me pay a fee when I had to call to update my information, but I talked them out of it by pointing out that the agreement I signed up under had a flat cost for their services. They agreed to honour it, but I think that anyone who signs up now is SOL. :/

Trading Score
    456 (100%)

My daughter and I are allergic to separate things, having two subscriptions is costly. I cancelled mine and kept hers. I still wear my bracelet; hope they pay attention if I require a hospital stay (codeine, morphin, any opieds).

Thread Information