User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By lekate

Thread: Value Village: where does their money go?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm just arranging a pick-up of furniture for the Diabetes Society which will end up at VV, and I"m wondering: they're making a pack of money from donated stuff, minus, of course the likely miniscule amount they're giving to the DS, so where are THEIR profits going?
    I can't find any information on line...just about the good they do for other charitable organizations....does anyone know?..

Hope this is in the proper forum...
    This thread is currently associated with: Value Village

Our 'other' happy place!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

VV is a for-profit business, not a charity, so they don't have to divulge where their profits are going.

From their site

"What percentage of your profits are paid to the nonprofit organizations?

We do not pay our partners based on our profits, so their income is predictable and not dependent on our sales revenue. We contract with each of our nonprofit partners individually, purchasing goods from them in bulk at an agreed upon rate. The details of those contracts are confidential, but when we negotiate our rates, we assure that the rate we pay them is higher than what they would get selling the goods on the open market or to other resellers. The funds that we pay our nonprofit partners are an unrestricted and reliable source of funding for their local community programs."

The way I look at it, and had it explained to me by a canvasser from CDA locally, any funds they can get are welcome; they aren't in the clothing or resale business.

We used to donate several times a year to them, but have switched to giving away items directly through freecycle (FullCircles in our city), or kijiji.
    Last edited by Natalka; Mon, Sep 24th, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
    anisa and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

There was something on TV a while ago, whichever charity you get to drop off the items gets a fee so some other charities are getting small amounts, but the Diabetes Society are their biggest and any donations dropped off go to them. They made about 33mil but spent 22mil of that on pickups and other costs to do with the partnership. That being said Salvation Army run their own stores and made about the same so
    Make an easy $20+ per month with - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

That's the reason I won't donate to the Diabetes Society. I give it away or donate to the Salvation Army or a local shelter.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by ! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

The real question is whether these corporations or charities are for profit or not. When a corporation is for profit they must do everything to increase sales/profits for their shareholders and the board of director. And this is where CEO’s and those on the board of directors get obscene bonuses. Despite what lower ranking employees may make, and who, in my opinion, work the hardest.

Value Village is indeed a for profit corporation. They do not have your needs or those of the charities they say they support. They pay a lump sum to the charities for donations left with the charity themselves. Leading me to wonder whether the profits from donations left at the store themselves go to any charities. I think not, but I could be wrong. ()

I have nothing against for profit companies, well I don’t really care for them since they can’t seem to pay low ranking employees decently. But in terms of VV they angled themselves as a beacon of the community and there to help charities. This has left many people believing that they’re supporting charities when they shop there. They are to an extent, but not completely. Which is deceiving, and I would in the future refrain from shopping there.

Now to take a look at the Salvation Army. They are indeed a completely non-profit charity. Any profits are invested in programs and shelters and general operating costs. There are no shareholders and the board of directors do not receive obscene bonuses. Some have complained about prices, but they do need to make money in a sense, to provide all that they do for the community. And they do give free clothing out to those who need it, or for those whose houses have burnt down.

()

They are not without scandal though. The top ranking salary clocks in at just under 240 000$, which is a lot to me, but not that much for many high ranking employees (some hospital CEO’s, who’re paid with our taxes receive up to or more than 500 000$). Just under 63% of money raised goes to charity programs. But other than volunteers within the stores, they have many employees, especially to operate the shelters. Which brings me to the catch22, why is it that many shelter workers get paid measly wages, that barely put them above the poverty line (assuming they don’t have a family, if so they would fall under). ()

Before this becomes a full essay, Goodwill is also a non-profit charity.

anisa likes this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Also, another point to consider any of these clothing donation charities, is those who donate over seas (especially to Africa), when there is no natural disaster or war, would actually be hindering the local economy and thus not a good choice. ()

A really interesting book on foreign aid and the African economy is called 'Dead Aid' by Dambisa Moyo
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

!

Thread Information