User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Metal Roofing Companies

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Has anyone had a good or bad experience with a metal roofing company?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Dad was pitched a deal on the metal roofing if he agreed to let company leave a sign on the lawn for how many days/weeks; 50 yr warranty on the metal shingles. Installation I think took 2-3 days after the old shingles were removed.
    This was in the late 80s. One thing I noticed, as the walkways are old as are the steps, is that any snow sliding off the roof (south side is ALWAYS first) sticks/freezes quickly unless you scoot out to shovel it. Still, the thumping of the snow hit an old evergreen hedge every winter as it was under the roofline; the hedge was cut down about 3-4 yrs ago. Steps under the roof overhang took on some erosion and cracks over the years. Back walk pavers (those large rectangular ones used in patios) tend to get tilted due to the weight of slid snow.

However, when I talked about the roof (there were those wind turbine vents in silver initially but Dad had them changed about 20 years later to something lower profile) to people who had metal roofs put on their homes, they tell me that they don't have the freezing snow on the walkway issue like we have. So maybe it depends on the age of your landscaping and what is used on the walkways. I just know my parents cannot deal with heavy wet snow. Dry flakes or some mush maybe. That is why I praise the lightweight Oskar snow shovel when I use it-I don't need to use a metal shovel to move that stuff.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Aug 25th, 2013 at 01:03 AM.
    2017-Year of the Rooster

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recently had a metal roof installed by London Eco-Roof Mfg. At this, it is unknown how it will handle snow and ice. They did install snow guards throughout to prevent any accidents. The product itself appears to be good however the installation quality was very poor.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

My work supplies metal roofs. or I should say the material, we do not do any installations. Metal roofs are great manly for the way they stand up. No matter what anyone tells you 25 year asphalt shingles will never hold up for 25 years, they have been changed too much and they cannot stand up for 25 years anymore. With that being it is also really hard to successfully process a warranty issue on asphalt shingles, the shingles are only found defective if your roof leaks but it is actually the underlayment that is preventing leaks now that shingles and most company say you have to have underlayment for the warranty. So with these shingles you will never 25 years and you will pay to replace them where is with a metal roof it has a 25 year warranty and that is just the paint. It is kind of easy to see why people are switching to a Metal Roof, we have a lot of elderly customers that look for a metal roof for they will never have to replace it again.

Personally my Dad has had a metal roof for over 22 years on his house and has had not problems but as mentioned above yes snow does slide off of it.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@SassyAshley-does your Dad have any walkway heaving or erosion/cracking issues from years of snow falling on top of it?
    I don't know about any snowguards-just that the eaves have a useless vinyl covering with openings>when the water falls over the edge of the eaves, cleanup is necessary because pine needles/spores can jam the eaves enough to impede water egress.
    SassyAshley likes this.
    2017-Year of the Rooster

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Dad was pitched a deal on the metal roofing if he agreed to let company leave a sign on the lawn for how many days/weeks; 50 yr warranty on the metal shingles. Installation I think took 2-3 days after the old shingles were removed.
    This was in the late 80s. One thing I noticed, as the walkways are old as are the steps, is that any snow sliding off the roof (south side is ALWAYS first) sticks/freezes quickly unless you scoot out to shovel it. Still, the thumping of the snow hit an old evergreen hedge every winter as it was under the roofline; the hedge was cut down about 3-4 yrs ago. Steps under the roof overhang took on some erosion and cracks over the years. Back walk pavers (those large rectangular ones used in patios) tend to get tilted due to the weight of slid snow.

However, when I talked about the roof (there were those wind turbine vents in silver initially but Dad had them changed about 20 years later to something lower profile) to people who had metal roofs put on their homes, they tell me that they don't have the freezing snow on the walkway issue like we have. So maybe it depends on the age of your landscaping and what is used on the walkways. I just know my parents cannot deal with heavy wet snow. Dry flakes or some mush maybe. That is why I praise the lightweight Oskar snow shovel when I use it-I don't need to use a metal shovel to move that stuff.
    In the 80's when this type of roof became popular snow guards were not installed, now they are as it is a huge safety issue when snow slides off.I would really recommend having your parents get them installed for their safety and any liability with snow sliding and hitting someone.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

My dad does not have this issue but actually on both sides of the house it slides onto his drive ways. Odd I know but yes my dad has drive ways on both sides of his house the one we use all the time plus another one which has access to his basement. The one that gives us access to the basement we do not use in the winter as we do not plow it. But the other one gets plowed every time it snows (we have a pick up with a plow, so someone will whip over with the truck and make sure the drive ways are plowed as my grandparents live next door).

Snow guards are needed, at my work we sell various different types depending on the roof and a lot of people who had their roof installed without them come in to get them. They really do help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @SassyAshley-does your Dad have any walkway heaving or erosion/cracking issues from years of snow falling on top of it?
    I don't know about any snowguards-just that the eaves have a useless vinyl covering with openings>when the water falls over the edge of the eaves, cleanup is necessary because pine needles/spores can jam the eaves enough to impede water egress.
    Check out my Crochet Blog showing all my wonderful projects

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I used to tape handprinted signs by each walkway (heads up-roof avalanche possible due to snow) for a couple of winters. I learned to stand under the roof overhang when on the walkway during a rumble/dump of snow or one's shoulders took the brunt of the snow.

The mailbox was moved to the garage a few years ago so I would not have to worry about the letter carrier dodging snow or seeing a blocked walkway on a snowy day.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Sep 7th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
    thriftygranny likes this.
    2017-Year of the Rooster

Thread Information